Chapter #756 Activities
1. Chapter 756 purchases about 20 movie tickets monthly for Tiber Rubin VAMC-Long Beach Hospital Veterans who are recuperating and can be treated to a “night out” at the movies. About five to seven Veterans attend along with their veteran escorts. The evening includes popcorn, candy and soda. We try to do this once a month and have been doing these night outs for over 14 years. An issue we are facing currently is a lack of drivers from the Tiber Rubin VAMC-Long Beach for their specialty buses.
2. We are working with the Westminster School District to support the "Price of Freedom Art Contest" as well as with Woodbridge High School in Irvine for their “Patriotic Art Contest”. Both contests are in May. Students work closely with Frances Nguyen, who is on the School Boards. In May 2020 the project will include interviews with members.
3. Delegates from our Chapter 756 were represented at the VVA National Convention in Spokane Washington.
4. Chapter 756 provided a “Color Guard” for the Memorial Day presentation at the American Gold Star Manor.
5. Chapter 756 supports:
· Patriots and Paws (which supports Veterans with furniture and house hold goods).
· The Air Force Sergeant Assoc.
· The Veterans’ Service Officer at the Tiber Rubin VAMC-Long Beach.
· Vet to Vet, a PTSD support group at the Tiber Rubin VAMC-Long Beach.
· The 13th MEU out of Camp Pendleton with diapers and wipes for families whose spouses are out of country, as well as donating $500.00.
6. We met with Senator Tom Umberg (whose wife is on the committee) with talking points about the cemetery in Anaheim. There is a study under way by a Company called 21 Points.
7. Our president had a meeting with former Congresswoman Kim Young for a review of Veterans issues, especially the turnover of doctors at the Tiber Rubin VAMC-LB Hospital)
8. Our president attends the National Resources Center for Asian languages in Westminster, which promotes bilingualism in a Globe Economy
9. Chapter 756 was closely involved with the American Gold Star Mothers Assoc. during their event in August, when the introductions of the new In-coming President and Vice President of the association were made.
10. Chapter 756 has over 170 members, and hopes for more opportunity with Blue Water Navy Veterans.