Chapter #756 Activities
1. Purchased 20 movie tickets for Long Beach VA Hospital so Veterans who are there can be treated to night out at the movies. About five to seven Veterans go with their escorts. The outing includes popcorn, candy, and soda pop. We have been doing this once a month for over 14 years (some months there is an issue of lack of qualified drivers at Long Beach VA).
2. We work with the Westminster School District in supporting their "Price of Freedom” Art Contests for high school students, along with Frances Nguyen, who is on School Board, and includes the “Patriotic” Art Contest by Woodbridge High School in Irvine. Both are planned again in May 2020. A project will include interviews with veteran members.
3. Chapter members attended a dinner Honoring Vietnam Veterans, at the Wolf Lodge in Garden Grove held by the Vietnamese Multi-Cultural Organization.
4. Chapter 756 took 6 Veterans from the Long Beach VA Hospital to Knott’s Berry Farm for a Christmas outing including a chicken dinner. Our chapter has been doing this for about 15 years.
5. Chapter 756 continually donates help to “Patriots and Paws” (supports Veterans with furniture and household goods), and supports the Veterans Service Officer at Long Beach VA, along with “Vets to Vets” a PTSD group at the Long Beach VA. We also support the 13th MEU by providing a “diapers and baby wipes” program as well as donating funds.
6. We support VVA Chapter #1024 with their “Lifesaver” Huey helicopter by restoring it for traveling and education of the public, and reminding Vietnam Veterans of their use along with the memories it would bring back to them.
7. President Gomez continues to meet with a former Congresswoman, Kim Young, for reviews of Veterans issues (i.e. the turnover of doctors at the LBVA Hospital)
8. We Network with Cal-Vet in both Los Angeles and Orange Counties to find Veterans Service Officers to help the Veteran Community.
9. Chapter 756 attended a funeral for 81 Vietnamese Paratrooper and 4 U.S. Air Force crewmen KIAs. This funeral was held in Westminster since the current government of Vietnam would not allow the South Vietnamese solders to be buried in Vietnam. The aircraft went down in 1965.
10. Chapter 756 sponsored a Christmas luncheon where 51 members and guests attended for a great time.