Death of a Veteran

Pre-Authorized Care

Birth Defects

  What to Do When a Veteran Passes Away
    The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) realizes the loss of a loved one is a difficult  experience.

    VA has established a streamlined process for families, executors and legal representatives to follow to notify VA
    about the death of a Veteran enrolled in the VA health care system.
    Why should I notify VA about the death of an enrolled Veteran?

  • *Notifying VA limits the chance for others to falsely use the Veteran's identity.
    *By updating the Veteran's information, you will reduce the likelihood of VA continuing to send you correspondence about VA benefits, services and bills.
    *You will be helping VA to maintain up-to-date records, which will enhance the agency's efforts to better distribute services to the Veteran community.

  The Steps for Notifying VA are Simple and Easy to Follow

1. Step one is for the next-of-kin and/or legally authorized representative under State law
to retrieve an official copy of the Veteran's death certificate.
2. Step two is to submit the death certificate to VA by:
a.   hand delivering or mailing a copy of the death certificate to the Office of Decedent
Affairs at the VA medical facility where the Veteran was receiving healthcare
benefits, or
b.   contacting the VA Health Resource Center at 1-877-222-VETS (8387) for additional